The Parthenon is a temple, built in honor of goddess Athena, protector of the city of Athens. It was the result of the collaboration of important architects and sculptors in the middle of the 5th century BC century, during the period of Athenian hegemony in Ancient Greece. The temple was named after the goddess Athena, who was a sworn virgin (virgin=parthenos in Greek, meaning “pure and unmarried woman”). It is the brightest monument of the Athenian state and the colophon of Doric order. Its construction began in 448/7 BC and the inauguration took place in 438 BC during the Great Panathenaia Festival, while the architects who worked were Ictinus and Kallicrates.
It is one of the few Greek temples made exclusively of marble and the only Doric temple with all its metopes in high-relief. Inside, there was a two-storeyed Doric colonnade, from where visitors could admire the chryselephantine statue of Athena from various points, while in the opisthodomos (back room) they kept the treasure, the precious tributes to goddess Athena. The Parthenon presents perfectly harmonious proportions to its finest detail. Although this temple was larger than the other Doric temples of its time, the innumerable delicate details of the temple were designed in a genius way and executed with mathematical precision to give it astonishing homogeneity, monumental magnificence and unparalleled grace compared to its heavier Doric predecessors.
The temple remained intact until the Macedonian times. The first catastrophe was made during tyrant Lachares’s time, who abstracted the gold and jewels decorating the temple and the chryselephantine statue of Athena. Over the years, the building has undergone various alterations, such as turning into a Christian church during the Byzantine period and later, during Turkish occupation into an Ottoman mosque. Besides that, the temple suffered also a lot of damage during the Venetian-Turkish wars and during the period of the Greek Revolution.
Until it handed over to the archeology and the New Greek nation, the monument was systematically stripped off by Lord Elgin, who cut off a large number of sculptures and marbles during the period from 1801 to 1803. Returning to England, Elgin sold most of them to the British Museum where they are until today. Since September 11, 1987, the Parthenon has been included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
The statue you hold in your hands is made in Greece by alabaster, a kind of semi-transparent precious marble. Our colored statues are hand-painted, while all our products are distinguished for their incomparable quality and attention to detail.